Area Code Overlay Approved for the Ohio 740 Area Code
Attention: Telephone Directory Publishers & Payphone Providers
What is an area code overlay?
How does this affect providers of alarm and security services and equipment?
Telephone Directories covering the 740 area code region must add the new 220 area code information and alert customers in the 740 area code about the new 10 digit and 11 digit local dialing procedure.
What will be the new dialing procedure?
When will the change begin?
Beginning March 21, 2015, you must use the new dialing procedures, as described above for all calls. After this date, if you do not use the new dialing procedures, your calls will not be completed and a recording will instruct you to hang up and dial again.
Beginning April 22, 2015, new telephone lines or services may be assigned numbers using the new 220 area code.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911.
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 are currently available in your community, you will still dial